Words: Jeremy Dunn | Photography: Lou Noble | Date:
The 2014 Rapha Women’s Ambassadors met last weekend in the hills around the beaches of Santa Monica. This small gathering, known as The Calling, took place atop a short but steep ride up into the Pacific Palisades. It was a jam-packed weekend, one that included an introduction to the brand from Rapha founder Simon Mottram and Hillary Benjamin, head of Rapha North America. Nutrition and training information came via a presentation from Skratch Labs founder Allen Lim, while the food itself was lovingly assembled by Biju Thomas, the Skratch Labs chef.
In addition to listening to presentations and enjoying the beautiful riding in the area, the Ambassadors were on hand to discuss their respective roles in helping to shape and improve women’s cycling. Over the course of the coming year, Rapha has a variety of plans to raise not just the profile of the sport but also the number of women taking part. This July sees the second annual Rapha Women’s 100, and the Ambassadors also offered their feedback on the Rapha Women’s collection, which will see new products added throughout 2014.
So, if you are a keen rider, or even just an occasional one, there’s a chance you might meet one of the Rapha Women’s Ambassadors out on the road. Over the course of the next few weeks — and well into the summer — we will continue to highlight the work of our Ambassadors, from Sarai Snyder’s Cyclofemme ride on May 11th, to the aforementioned Women’s 100 ride a few weeks after.
In the meantime, you can keep up with what our Women’s Ambassadors have been up to from afar. Check in with the Bicycling Magazine Instagram feed for an account of their recent ride in California. The tag #RaphaTOC will take you directly to a selection of mid-ride photos, while the Girl Bike Love site provided day-by-day accounts from Kim Cross, another Ambassador. The official film and photos from the Ambassadors time on the Tour of California route will launch shortly before the actual ToC kicks off in May and you can also follow along this year as they take on the Rapha Women’s Prestige, on May 10th. In the meantime, follow along with their Instagram and social media accounts here: The Calling
2014 Rapha North America Women Ambassadors
- Abby Watson – Portland, OR – @abbylwatson
- Alie Giaime – NYC (new ambassador) – @pink7grl
- Beth Strickland – Emmaus, PA – @bikebeth
- Cynthia Young – Vancouver, BC – @youngcynthia
- Elizabeth Reeder – Los Angeles, CA (new ambassador) – @ereederreadsanereader
- Erika Christensen – Los Angeles, CA – @erikachristensen
- Julie Krasniak – Portand, OR – @krasniakjulie
- Kelton Wright – Los Angeles, CA (new ambassador) – @ktonic
- Kim Cross – Birmingham, AL – @kimhcross
- Lindsay Knight – Chicago, IL (new ambassador) – @lindsay_h_knight
- Meredith Miller – Boulder, CO (new ambassador) – @mmcyclist
- Pia Scaroni – San Francisco, CA (new ambassador) – @Pscaroni
- Rachael Lambert – Durham, NC (new ambassador) – @raelambo
- Sarai Snyder – Boulder, CO – @cyclofemme