WORDS: Wade Wallace | PHOTOS: Veeral Patel
Sixteen teams began the inaugural Australian Rapha Gentlemen’s Race and, we’re pleased to report, all 16 teams finished. Teams set off in a staggered start from the country town of Lang Lang, in South Gippsland, with those expected to be fastest the last to leave.
Each six-rider team, containing at least one female member, headed out on to rolling backroads, toward the seaside town of Inverloch and back; 135 kilometres of beautiful scenery, sharp climbs and challenging surfaces.
The point of Rapha’s Gentlemen’s Races is to inspire a different type of racing. Being unmarshalled, unsupported and unsanctioned, there’s no better way to find out if you’re a true team, pulling together through the difficulties and attrition to get each other to the finish, or just six individuals racing the clock.
And unlike most conventional road races, everyone stuck around for a couple of hours afterwards, to indulge in a few beers, hot dogs and that other Aussie staple, meat pies. As tales of the race began to unfold, the buzz of camaraderie reminded everybody of the reasons we ride: to suffer; to crack; and then to put the pieces back together and laugh about it when you come out on the other end.
A huge congratulations and thanks to all riders who took part on this journey. We look forward to our next Gentlemen’s Race, scheduled for a venue near Sydney this spring.
- 4hrs 4 mins: Bio-Dynamics – presented by Pinot Noir
- 4hrs 18 mins: Never Beens
- 4hrs 21 mins: Rapha Continental
- 4hrs 34 mins: Bike Gallery
- 4hrs 34 mins: RIDE Cycling Review
- 4hrs 51 mins: Chain Reaction
- 4hrs 53 mins: Musettes
- 4hrs 56 mins: Seinfeld EP6
- 4hrs 58 mins: Foster the Peloton
- 4hrs 59 mins: CyclingTips / FYXO
- 5hrs 10 mins: Weapon Grade Racing
- 5hrs 16 mins: Velo Les Filles (fastest women’s team)
- 5hrs 22 mins: LLA Bellezza
- 5hrs 26 mins: The Wheeler
- 5hrs 30 mins: Team 4CMP
- 5hrs 47 mins: Velo Liberte
Strava link from a gentleman racer: